Today I made a fresh tomato sauce with red ripe tomatoes picked fresh from the garden.
This sauce is so easy and versatile.
Follow these 5 simple steps for Fresh Tomato Sauce:
1. Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion in 1/2 cup olive oil over low heat.
(If you have sweet onions like Maui or Vidalia – that’s even better!)
2. Add 2 cloves of garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
3. Add 6 tomatoes that have been chopped into medium pieces.
4. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5. Cook over low to medium heat stirring occasionally.
After 30 minutes the sauce is ready! After 45 minutes the sauce is even better!!
What’s so great about this sauce, besides its great flavor, is its versatility. At the 30 minute mark it makes a perfect pasta sauce – especially if you finish cooking the pasta in the sauce – like they do in Italy. (see page 130 of our cookbook Cooking Dinner for the technique) At 45 minutes the sauce is thicker and quickly becomes a tasty spread on your favorite bread, a delicious topping on scrambled eggs or a flavorful addition when stirred into cooked rice. Let your imagination guide your cooking adventure – Cook, Eat, Laugh. Claudia